Halifax, West Yorkshire is situated 16 miles west of Leeds and 30 miles north east of Manchester, with easy links to both cities and more by both motorway (M62) and rail.
Good quality roads quickly take you to the beautiful countryside of the South Pennines and the Yorkshire Dales National Park. It is an ideal location from which to explore the South Pennines, the Bronte Country, the Yorkshire Dales National Park, and Haworth Village (see: www.haworth-village.org.uk and www.visitbradford.com/haworth).
The Calder & Hebble Navigation, the Rochdale Canal, quirky Hebden Bridge, and the industrial and cultural heritage of Yorkshire and Lancashire have much to offer visitors.
Dyer’s Cottage is situated on the North side of the Calder Valley in West Yorkshire between Halifax and Sowerby Bridge; both places featured in the TV series” Last Tango in Halifax” and filming for “Happy Valley” takes place in Sowerby Bridge. Shops, pubs, restaurants, public transport (trains and buses), and canals are all within a short stroll.
Our Favourite Places to Eat locally
- Gimbals Restaurant, Sowerby Bridge
- Our award winning local pub, now in the Good Beer Guide and serving lovely home cooked food, The Wainhouse Tavern
- A French bistro, Aux Délices, in Mytholmroyd
- A canal cafe called the Secret Cafe off the main road to Burnley before you get to Luddenden Foot
- Sheridan’s Tea Room, Burnley Road, Sowerby Bridge, by Warley church
- Friendly Fisheries Burnley Road Friendly
- Brow Bridge Cafe and Bistro West Vale
- The Maypole Inn, Warley
Halifax is very well connected to the major cities and towns of Northern England by motorway. The M62, passes very close to Halifax with junctions 24 and 25 close by. This provides a link to the M1, A1(M), M606 in Yorkshire and the M60, M66 and M6 in Lancashire. The A58 connects Halifax to Bradford and Burnley.
Halifax and Sowerby Bridge both have railway stations and of the two, the latter is closer, about a mile from the cottage wheras Halifax station is about 2 miles though it offers a more frequent service. Northern Rail www.northernrail.org have direct trains to Leeds, Bradford Interchange, Manchester Victoria and Blackpool with stops at intermediate stations. Grand Central Trains provide direct trains to London Kings Cross. www.grandcentralrail.com. LNER go to London Kings Cross via Leeds www.lner.co.uk.
Halifax and the surrounding area is well served by frequent buses from Halifax Bus Station. The cottage is very close to several bus routes. www.wymetro.com
Halifax is well connected for air travel.
- Leeds/Bradford Airport is 20 miles away. www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk
- Manchester Airport is 35 miles away and offers more international flights. www.manchesterairport.co.uk